Why YouTube shorts are better for your channel growth than regular videos?On January 7, 2023 by Ivica Berkov
YouTube shorts are short-form videos that are 15 seconds or less in duration and are designed for use on the YouTube app’s “Shorts” shelf. They were introduced in September 2020 as a response to the popularity of TikTok and other short-form video platforms. Since their introduction, YouTube shorts have become increasingly popular among creators and have proven to be an effective way to grow a YouTube channel.
There are several reasons why YouTube shorts may be better for channel growth than regular videos.
- Shorter attention spans: In today’s fast-paced world, people have shorter attention spans than ever before. A study by Microsoft found that the average attention span dropped from 12 seconds in 2000 to 8 seconds in 2015. This means that people are less likely to watch a long video in its entirety, even if they are interested in the content. By contrast, YouTube shorts are short and snappy, making them more likely to hold the viewer’s attention.
- Increased watch time: YouTube uses watch time as one of the factors in its algorithm to determine the relevance and quality of a video. The more watch time a video receives, the more likely it is to be recommended to other users. YouTube shorts are more likely to be watched in their entirety, leading to increased watch time and, in turn, better visibility for the channel.
- Greater discoverability: YouTube shorts are displayed on the “Shorts” shelf, which is a dedicated space for short-form videos on the YouTube app. This means that they are more likely to be discovered by users who are specifically looking for short videos to watch. This can lead to a surge in views and subscribers for the channel.
- Increased engagement: YouTube shorts have the potential to drive higher levels of engagement from viewers. Due to their short length, they can be more easily shared on social media and are more likely to be watched multiple times. This can lead to more comments, likes, and subscribers for the channel.
- Greater flexibility: YouTube shorts give creators greater flexibility in terms of content creation. They can be created quickly and easily using a smartphone, making it possible to produce content on a more regular basis. This can help to keep the channel fresh and keep viewers coming back for more.
In conclusion, YouTube shorts offer a number of benefits for channel growth. They are more likely to hold the viewer’s attention, drive increased watch time, be more discoverable, and lead to higher levels of engagement. They also give creators greater flexibility in terms of content creation. If you’re looking to grow your YouTube channel, consider incorporating YouTube shorts into your content strategy.