Tennis Updates and Highlights – July 18, 2023On July 18, 2023 by Ivica Berkov
Tennis Overview 18 July 2023
Welcome to the Tennis Overview, your go-to source for the latest updates and highlights from the world of tennis. In this edition, we delve into the thrilling events that unfolded on the 18th of July 2023, providing you with a comprehensive snapshot of the most exciting matches, unexpected upsets, and noteworthy performances across the tennis spectrum. Join us as we serve up the latest news, analysis, and insights, keeping you at the forefront of the dynamic and ever-evolving world of tennis.
Kontaveit ready for the retirement
After many spoke out at the disrespect felt towards former World No.2, Anett Kontaveit during Wimbledon, she will get a farewell at least back at home in Estonia. It has been confirmed that Kontaveit will play a farewell exhibition on the 11th November. This is against close friend Ons Jabeur. Jabeur was one of many who paid tribute to Kontaveit on retirement aged just 27 due to persistent back injuries. “Anett my friend, your joy, your warmth and energy will be missed. Congratulations on an amazing career ❤️ Thank you for all the memories ❤️ Lots of love 😘 ,” said the 28-year-old.
Laughing off the competition on and off the court! 😄🎾
“I find him funny sometimes on the court”: Tsitsipas squashes issues with Medvedev on Instagram live with Badosa
Wimbledon’s newly-crowned champion Marketa Vondrousova lifted the title without wearing a branded kit. The 24-year-old surprised everyone by beating Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur in the final of the third Grand Slam of the year on Saturday in straight sets with a score of 6-4, 6-4 in London. In the ceremony after the final, it was clear that Vondrousova lifted the title without wearing a branded kit, something which is not considered a normal thing. The Sokolov-born earlier had a Nike branded kit but the brand dumped her after four years during her struggles with fitness issues. It was confirmed by Vondrousova after the semifinal victory at Wimbledon where she stated: “Yeah, the contract finished last year. Yeah, it was after four years, so they decided to stop.” However, after securing her maiden Grand Slam triumph, she will be hoping to hear from the Nike management soon for another contract.
When even the legends applaud your victory 🎾👏
Wimbledon’s newly-crowned champion Carlos Alcaraz has revealed that a number of superstars including former world number one Rafael Nadal congratulated him on his recent success. The 20-year-old clinched the third Grand Slam of the year in London after beating the current world number two Serbia’s Novak Djokovic in a five-set thriller with a score of 1–6, 7–6(8–6), 6–1, 3–6, 6–4. While talking after the match, the current world number one stated that a host of stars congratulated him, including the likes of NBA star Jimmy Butler and Will Smith. He also stated that out of the congratulatory messages, it was the message of the 22-time Grand Slam winner Nadal which excited him the most. “Rafa’s, whenever he congratulates you, Rafa makes you especially excited because in the end he is your idol,” he said. “I was also congratulated by Fernando Alonso, who is someone I admire. Will Smith surprised me that he congratulated me. My friend Jimmy Butler… There have been a lot of messages that have made me excited. “I don’t want to leave anyone because there have been many sports legends, artists… I saw that Sebastian Yatra dedicated a song to me and said ‘this is for you’. That all these people congratulate you is exciting.”
Spain’s Carlos Alcaraz has seen a huge boom in his social media following after his recent triumph at Wimbledon 2023. The 20-year-old defeated Serbia’s Novak Djokovic in the final of the third Grand Slam of the year in a five-set thriller with a score of 1–6, 7–6(8–6), 6–1, 3–6, 6–4 on Sunday. That result has an instant impact on Alcaraz’s Instagram account where it witnessed an increase of more than 1 million followers in the next 48 hours, thus making him the fourth most followed active tennis player on the app after Spain’s Rafael Nadal, Djokovic and Australia’s Nick Kyrgios. The result was indeed a special one considering that before this year, the current world number one never played in the quarterfinal or beyond in the competition. His best outing before this year came in 2022 where he was knocked out from the fourth round after suffering a defeat against Italy’s Jannik Sinner with a score of 6-1, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3. On the other hand, the defeat ended Djokovic’s dream run of 34 victories in the competition during which he won four back-to-back titles. Before Sunday, his last defeat was in the 2017 edition of the tournament where he was forced to retire from the quarterfinal clash because of an arm injury.
The ATP Entry List has been confirmed for Cincinnati Open
The ATP Entry List has been confirmed for Cincinnati Open (also known as the Western & Southern Open) which will take place in Mason, Ohio between 12-20 August, 2023. As ever with it being an ATP 1000, most top names are entered in to the tournament in Cincinnati. Carlos Alcaraz, Novak Djokovic, Daniil Medvedev, Casper Ruud, Holger Rune and Stefanos Tsitsipas all lead proceedings. Borna Coric is the defending champion from 2022 surprisingly winning one of the main warm-ups for the US Open. He is involved as expected.